Some people are born with teeth that are more yellow than others. Others have teeth that yellow with age. Your natural tooth colour can also be affected by many factors. Surface stains (called extrinsic stains by dentists) and discolouration can be caused by:
- Tobacco (whether smoked or chewed)
- Drinking coffee, tea, or red wine
- Eating highly pigmented foods such as cherries and blueberries
- Accumulation of tartar deposits, which result from plaque that has hardened
Internal stains (called intrinsic stains by dentists) can be caused by:
- Treatment with the antibiotic tetracycline during the time when teeth are forming
- Yellowing or greying of the teeth as part of the aging process
- Trauma to the teeth that may result in the death of the tooth's nerve, giving the tooth a brown, grey or black colour
What are Ways to Whiten Teeth?
We fabricate a custom made tray that fits over your teeth. We then give you a special gel that is placed into the tray and then positioned over the teeth making perfect contact with the tooth surface that we wish to whiten.
For best results, the trays should be worn for 4 hours a day so we normally recommend you keep them in overnight. The vast majority of cases will see up to 8 shades of improvment.
Laser whitening involves applying a stong gel to the tooth surface in surgery. The gel is activated by a laser lamp and the traetment lasts for about 40 minutes. For maximum benifit, we top the treatment up the tray system.